Sterling is one of the oldest activist investors in Europe with an impressive 22- year track record. Originally a private activist company, Sterling evolved into the Sterling Strategic Value Fund (“Sterling”) in December 2016.
Sterling has two investment vehicles:
- Sterling Active Fund (SAF) which was launched on 1 October 2020 and formally created on 1 January 2021. This fund is open for subscriptions.
- Sterling Strategic Value I (SSV) which is closed to new investors.
- SSVL (Monaco) S.A.M. is the Investment Advisor for Sterling. It provides advisory services, investment analysis and recommendation as well as research to the AIFM.
- The Investment Committee of SSVL Monaco is composed of 5 experienced individuals with financial, industrial and legal backgrounds and a long track record of working as a team. The team is further strengthened by a network of Advisors which is made up of senior professionals from a variety of backgrounds who brings unique knowledge and complementary skills.
- SSVL Monaco is a limited company incorporated in the Principality of Monaco and regulated by the CCAF (Commission de Contrôle des Activités Financières) in Monaco.
- Notz, Stucki acts as Alternative Investment Fund Manager (AIFM) for Sterling. It is one of the largest and fully independent asset management groups in Europe. Founded in 1964 in Geneva (Switzerland), it has eight offices globally and approximately $10bn AUM. The team at Notz, Stucki responsible for SSVF is based in Luxembourg.
- Sterling Strategic Value Fund S.A. is registered in Luxembourg as a SICAV RAIF
Investment Committee Sterling’s Investment Advisor (SSVL Monaco) is comprised of an Investment committee, a network of Advisors and a team of analysts.
The Investment Committee of SSVL (Monaco), chaired by Massimo Pedrazzini, is composed of experienced individuals with legal, industrial and financial backgrounds and a long track record of working as a team.
Network of Advisors
The Advisors bring extensive industrial knowledge and networks that supplement internal research and underpin investments
Dr. Tito Tettamanti
Dr. Tito Tettamanti’s career has spanned the legal, public sector and financial professions. Recognised as an entrepreneur, financier, lawyer and author, he has worked, taught and published works on subjects that include the legal system, public policy and investments
After a short time in politics, Dr. Tettamanti started the Fidinam Company in 1960 specialising in worldwide tax advising and real estate consulting. He was very active in the seventies in real estate development mainly in North America, in financing in the eighties mainly in New York, and as an industrialist chairing and controlling a worldwide leading textile machines company in the nineties. Later, he made investments in China-based projects in the area of infrastructure and construction
In 1999 he commenced strategic block investing in companies listed on the European Stock Exchanges as well as in distressed securities in the USA. Until 2012 he was the Chairman of the Board of Directors and controlling Shareholder of Sterling Strategic Value Limited
Furthermore, he is currently Honorary Chairman of the Swiss Verein Zivilgesellschaft (www.zivilgesellschaft.ch) and often participates in conferences, public debates and publishes contributions for daily newspapers and magazines
Dr Tito Tettamanti also held the position of Governor and Vice Chairman of European Policy Forum, London (www.epfltd.org). For many years he has also been a member of the Board of Schweizer Monatshefte (now SchweizerMonat) (www.schweizermonat.ch) as well as of IBL – Istituto Bruno Leoni (www.brunoleoni.it), an Italian Think-Tank. He was also a member of the Board of Trustees of Avenir Suisse (www.avenirsuisse.ch) – the largest Swiss Think-Tank
He is the author of several books – “Welches Europa”, “Manifest für eine liberale Gesellschaft”, “Die sieben Sunden des Kapitals”, ”T contro T – Te le do io il liberismo”, “Flash” and “T contro T – Disuguaglianza, disagio, democrazia”.
I first encountered Sterling in 2007 when I became Chairman of the Supervisory Board for Washtec. From that very first interaction I have always been impressed with their professionalism and how they go about achieving their end goal of improving the companies in which they are invested. This high standard of consistency ultimately led me to join their cause via a seat on their advisory committee. Quite simply, Sterling is how activism should be done.
“In my previous role, as Financial Investment Officer at Roche Group, I became very familiar with Sterling. Soon after leaving Roche, I made a personal investment into Sterling which I have now held for more than 15 years. I have been very pleased with my experience during that period and I am a big advocate of the team, their approach to investing, their effective interaction with boards and the transparency they have provided to me as an investor
Sterling Strategic Value is very professional and very focused on healthy Corporate Governance and shareholder value creation. At SAFT, Sterling encouraged me - as Chairman of the Supervisory Board - to find a friendly take-over bid which led to a significant premium for shareholders.
I am very happy to contribute to such an established and successful fund. SSVF’s investment process demands diligence of the highest standards and is undertaken by experienced professionals with the highest integrity. It is a pleasure to work with a team which has extensive international experience, in creating tangible and positive changes in the companies we invest in.